We hold ourselves accountable to preserve non-renewable resources with our ability to design innovative solutions at the leading edge of building sciences.
DBR’S INTERNAL SUSTAINABILITY INITIATIVE
In 2018, DBR pledged to unite with the AIA and signed the AIA 2030 Commitment to work together with architects and clients to achieve a breakthrough vision that calls for all new buildings, developments, and major renovations to be carbon-neutral by 2030. An internal Net Zero committee meets quarterly to educate staff on the ever-evolving industry and to update our sustainable design standards.
Additionally, DBR recognizes that we must practice what we preach and is making strides to operate its business more efficiently and sustainably. From recycling bins at every desk to office greenery to sustainable printing practices, internally, we are trying to set a positive example for our clients to emulate. Our team members also have been recognized as thought-leaders in sustainability by speaking in major national conferences such as A4LE, Greenbuild, and ASHRAE, while actively participating in USGBC to shape the future of sustainability.
Some of the ways our firm practices sustainability every day:
- Recycling & waste auditing program
- Biophilic design to decrease stress and bring nature into the workplace
- Sustainable printing practices
- Filtered water machine with reusable tumblers, coffee mugs, and glasses
- Occupancy sensors with automatic lighting control
- Ergonomics promotion to support long-term employee health and wellbeing
- Employe health incentives and activities
- Commitment to energy and water-efficient design standards and technologies
- Internal employee incentive program for sustainability licensure – LEED Green Associate & LEED AP accreditation
- Educational Lunch & Learns on sustainability, internally and for our clients
Sustainability Project Highlights
Our commitment to sustainability includes initiatives for Client’s seeking alternative means to integrate green concepts into their buildings. Creating our own Sustainability Department demonstrates our commitment to improving the environmental performance of buildings and shows the value we place on this professional service.
- 1st LEED Public School in Texas – West Brazos Junior High School
- 1st LEED Platinum Building in San Antonio – Eagle Veterinary Hospital
- More than 120 LEED-certified Projects and Sustainability Projects
- Over 10 million square feet in LEED Certified Projects
Additionally, our Commissioning Department can aid in providing an all-inclusive experience for your sustainability needs. By integrating our solid and deep understanding of engineering designs, we can provide comprehensive solutions to meet your project’s sustainability goals.
DBR’s Sustainability Services
- Green Building & Sustainability Certification/Code (LEED, CHPS, ENERGY STAR, WELL, AEGB & CalGreen)
- Building Performance & Energy Modeling for Early Design and LEED/Code Compliance
- Passive Design Assessment & Strategies
- Daylight & Lighting Assessment
- Life Cycle Cost & Life Cycle Assessment
- Sustainability & Energy Efficiency Incentive Funding
- Energy & Water Assessment and Audit